Monday, September 15, 2008

2-0 means never having to say "You're sorry"




First of all, yes, you're right. We got away with it. But I don't care. I don't care because we earned our way down the field, all day long. Should it have been their ball? Yes, but don't blame the Broncos, blame the ref. And what should Cutler have done? Said, "You know, I feel bad for San Diego, that's really a tough break. Here Mr. Turner, your team can have the ball." There were sixty minutes of brilliant offense and matador defense. It's not like without that call we only score 10 points. And as I told my dad, "With any other team, I'd feel a little bit worse." But after the Christmas Eve game last year against them, when they talked as much as they did anything else, this date was circled immediately. So bottom line, yes, San Deigo got ripped off. But I honestly don't care. They had two more plays to stop us. Yes, the ref blew the call. We capitalized. Show me the column in the standings for "Games should've won but got lucky on". Only "W's" or "L's".

Second, from Peter King's Monday Morning column: Mike Shanahan, "You don't make that kind of call unless you've got 100 percent confidence in your quarterback, which I do,'' he said. "In a case like that, you're prepared for what comes, and I knew I'd get killed if it didn't work. It goes with the territory. I knew it was the right call.''

"You'd say that even if it failed?' I asked.

"Oh yeah,'' Shanahan said.

There's a man who's not afraid to lose his job. I wouldn't have had the guts to do that, but then again he's a much better football coach than I am. I just hope there aren't 14 more of those. I don't have the arteries to support that.

No comments: